Saturday 21 January 2017

Fragment. Welcome Joy, And Welcome Sorrow - Poem by John Keats

'Under the flag
Of each his faction, they to battle bring
Their embryo atoms.' ~ Milton.

Welcome joy, and welcome sorrow, 
Lethe's weed and Hermes' feather; 


Come to-day, and come to-morrow, 
I do love you both together! 
I love to mark sad faces in fair weather; 
And hear a merry laugh amid the thunder; 
Fair and foul I love together. 
Meadows sweet where flames are under, 
And a giggle at a wonder; 
Visage sage at pantomine; 
Funeral, and steeple-chime; 
Infant playing with a skull; 
Morning fair, and shipwreck'd hull; 
Nightshade with the woodbine kissing; 
Serpents in red roses hissing; 
Cleopatra regal-dress'd 
With the aspic at her breast; 
Dancing music, music sad, 
Both together, sane and mad; 
Muses bright and muses pale; 
Sombre Saturn, Momus hale;--
Laugh and sigh, and laugh again; 
Oh the sweetness of the pain! 
Muses bright, and muses pale, 
Bare your faces of the veil; 
Let me see; and let me write 
Of the day, and of the night - 
Both together: - let me slake 
All my thirst for sweet heart-ache! 
Let my bower be of yew, 
Interwreath'd with myrtles new; 
Pines and lime-trees full in bloom, 
And my couch a low grass-tomb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment